Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A WW1 tribute, dedicated to Eva

Yeah, I know, I wanted to keep this blog a bit light hearted, but there's a whole life to do that.
My first attempts were 'testers', I had no drection, well I think I have found it now.
After a lot of thought I have decided to 'let the world know' what little I do about one of the million or so brave souls who fought and died during the First World War. This brave soul is my great grand father Edward Culling, not to forget his devoted wife Isabelle and their only child Eva.

Edward was injured on the Somme and died just under a year later from his injuries. This tribute is also to those he left behind, Isabelle, Edwards wife, my great grand mother, and Eva, my grand mother who died not too many years ago.
A personal note here. I am sad that Eva did not recognise me after the stroke and sorry I did not visit her from that time up to her death. This is why I dedicate this page to Eva.

Some time ago my mum (Bobbie) showed me some old postcards between Edward and Isa, written during thier courtship and after his enlistment into the Loyal North Lancs and ultamately from his hospital bed in the Glascow Royal Infirmary. There were also a couple of cards from other members of the family. All give an interesting and emotional insight of those years of conflict.

I have done a paper copy for my mother (it took a few years), now I have to try and transpose it, copies of the postcards and all to this blog. This should keep me busy for a while.


Let us see how it goes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home