Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Family postcards 1913 - 1917, page 3

Apart from the text from the postcards my most rewarding avenue of research came from a single book, The Somme, The day-by-day account by Chris McCarthy. A very enlightening book of which lists all actions and allied forces involved.
Unfortunately
On June 13th 2003 the laptop I was using (supplied by my employers) was nicked. On that computer was all the research into Edward, in the carry case for the laptop were several sheets of research notes, all gone, thanks scumbags. This was as you may be able to tell was a most upsetting time for me and this was the straw that broke the camel's back.
I only mention this because this criminal act set me back and I just lost interest. It took a while but I decided to try and complete as much as possible. Fortunately I had made copies of the scanned postcards on our home PC, and most of my research notes were also left at home. So in November 2005 I started again.
The story continues
The following is all the information I have on Edward’s life. It is a mix of research and information from the postcards. I will serialise it because I need the 'hits'. So here is the first part, remember, double click on an image for a larger view.

Edward Culling was born in Preston, Lancashire on 8th August 1889. In 1913 Edward met Isabelle Jones, and started a long distance courtship where both he and Isabelle had to travel to be together. No record has been obtained for the birth of Isabelle so for now I do not know her age. Edward lived at 18 Camebridge Street, Preston, Lancashire.

Edward and Isabelle married in the June ¼ of 1914 (April to June), it is unclear if they lived together after they wed however Eva was born in the March ¼ of 1916 in Preston, this may suggest that Isabelle lived with Edward for a short period before Edward enlisted.

Edward enlisted in the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment in Preston North End in March or April 1916. Private Culling 23935, did four weeks training in Felixstowe in D Company, hut 44/24. During this time Edward was either ill or wounded and stayed at Cobbolds Convalesant Home, 64 Quilter Road, Felixstowe, Suffolk. The length of his stay is uncertain but was probably under a week.
More next time, for now some more postcards. All text in bold or stars were partially legible.
Card 5
Caring card by The Regent Publishing Co., Ltd, London. N. W. The Regent Series, No. 2375.


The card is from Isabelle to Edward and is undated, the front would suggest war was either imminent or had started, this would put the card in 1914 - 1917 .


Dearest Ted.

You know very well that I do care for and my heart aches without ceasing day and night.
I lie every night till the daylight comes in.

Best love from Isa. xxxxxxxx


Card 6

Caring card by The Regent Publishing Co., Ltd, London. N. W. The Regent Series, No. 2365.

A card to Edward from a female relative, not signed or dated.

Dear Ted:-

I am sorry I have not mentioned Flossie, she had not ****ct when I saw her last and that was a week last Monday. I have not been to him. I have been looking for lodgings. You know Maggie can’t put me up as she has no spare bed.

But Will has been on nights and this is the last week and then he starts days and so I have to look to look for lodgings, but they have been very good to me. I am going to live with Lily Tenn, but I will ***y lodgings and keep myself it will be cheaper than boarding.

Card 7



Bamforth & Co .. Ltd. Publishers, Holmfirth (England) and New York. “Song Greeting” Series No. 45. Printed in England.

From Ted to Isabelle.

Monday June 19 – 1916

Dear Wife.

I have not received no fags from you for a long while, hoping that this card will remind you of me in bed and hope to find your heart to send me some fags and a word or two. Hoping you and the baby are in good health. I spent my last few coppers in stamps & cards.

From your loving hubby.

Edward Culling

Eva Isa
Xxx xx
Xxx xx
Xxx xx
xx
xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home