Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Family postcards 1913-1917, page 4

For reasons unknown Edward was trying to get discharged shortly after his stay in the home, Isabelle writes about this on card 16. She also mentions a letter Edward received and appears to be from a ‘comrade’ possibly accusing Edward of cowardice.

Edward was drafted to France during August 1916 in E company, 3rd Loyal North Lancashires. There is a very fine French (fabric) card from Edward dated August 12th 1916, postcard 18. Although on the card he asks for parcels to be sent to Hut 24 the card being French may be a message to Isabelle that he was going over imminently or possibly already in France.
Remember, double click on an image for a larger view.

Card 8

Bamforth & Co .. Ltd. Publishers, Holmfirth (England) and New York. “Song Greeting” Series No. 4857/3. Printed in England.

From Edward to Isabelle.

Prt Edward Culling, No 23935 LNL.

Cobbolds Convalesant Home, 64 Quilter Rd, Felixstowe, Suffolk.

Dear Wife.
Just A line to let you know that I am a little better but nothing to speak of you say that I had never send you any letters well I received that Post Office express letter back which I send you, and you may not get them when you send me your wrong number in one or two letters.

Your number is 6B9 and others 96B which is your right number. Isa I have sold one of my pups so will you let Fred have a pedigree so that he can fill it in and send it to me.

I enclosed the Post Office letter so that you can see it for yourself weather I sent it or not.

Card 9

Bamforth & Co .. Ltd. Publishers, Holmfirth (England) and New York. “Song Greeting” Series No. 4857/2. Printed in England.


From Edward to Isabelle dated June 21st 1916, written in pencil.

Prt Edward Culling, No 23935 Hut 44, D Company. Felixstowe, Suffolk.

Dear Wife,
Just a line from your hubby to say that I received your parcel Tuesday morning. Well dear I am a little better and the doctor says that I have to go on duty on Friday. If I keep well I will be home on furlow in a fortnight.

I have only my firing to do and then I will come home. All letters & parcels to be sent to my Hut 44.

E C

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home