Friday, February 24, 2006

Family Postcards 1913 - 1917, page 6

Well, I am nearly at the end of Edwards story. I have decided to research the rest of his immediate family. This may take a while as there are rather a lot of them, however I will concentrate on those who may have served during the First World War.
I will list Edwards relatives on my next page. I will also put the links of the sites I have used or perused in my research of Edwards life.
Double click on an image for a larger view.

A little help
If any readers out ther can help either with further information on Edward or that of any of the relatives I will list then I would be grateful.
And so.....
Edward returned to England injured in the February of 1917. We know this as his sister Alice writes to him and mentions his ‘next operation’, card 21. No cards exist from Edward to Isabelle from the time he was injured until the time of his death.
Letters are mentioned, alas these no longer exist. Isabelle was desperate for news of Edwards condition so she resorted to contacting a Major who replied to her, this was mentioned on card 28 dated April 14th, 1917.
The last postcard with text on it is card 29 and this is probably the most poignant of them all.

Edward’s death was recorded as 7th June 1917 at the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow. Edward is buried in Preston New Hall Lane Cemetery. His daughter Eva grew up never knowing her father, like so many other children born during war time.
Card 19

Absent card by Rotary Photographic Series, Printed in Britain. This is a real photograph.

The poem on the front is by Willmer reads:

My dearest, all’s well and I trust tis with you.
I still keep as busy as brave, dear and true
Just as I know you would have me do.
While I’m waiting for you to come home.

At twilight the shadow’s keep Not Dressed in kharki
Whispering your name. with military air.
The fire flickers pictures of Not under orders for
You in each name goodness knows where.
And your photo speaks comfort Not as a soldier, but just as you were.
From out of its frame. In your old ways.
And it’s then that I want you back home. Those dear days at home.


The card is from Isabell to Edward, although there is no date on the card Edwards birthday is 7th August. This would place the card no later than 1916 as Edward died before his birthday in 1917.

With love and best wishes for your birthday, from your loving wife. Isa.

xxxxx

Card 20

Bamforth & Co .. Ltd. Publishers, Holmfirth (England) and New York. “Song Greeting” Series No. 4965/2. Printed in England.


To Edward, possibly from one of his sisters Alice and her husband Jim, dated January 29th 1917.

Dear Brother,

Just a few lines to let you know that Jim has arrived home safe on Friday night for 10 days and is in the best of health the same as myself. I remain your sister and brother.

Alice and Jim.

Card 21

W &K. London, E.C.Series No 3784 British Manufacture

A card from Edwards sister Alice dated Feb 26th 1917, the 26th having been altered from 23rd.

Also of note is the end of the poem on the front of the card has had a word scribbled out and replaced with 'us'.

P.S Stamp inside envelope

87 Victoria St. Preston, Lancs.

Dear Brother,

Just a few lines in answer to your ever welcome letter sorry to hear that you are no different but we must put trust in God to see you safe through your next operation and let us hope it is a success Well I have just received a field postcard from Jim dated 18th Feb and he is quite well so far I myself am in the pink at present no more this time so will close with best love from your loving sister Alice.(494)

Card 22

W & K. London, E. C. Series No. 3504 British Manufacture.


A card from Edwards wife Isabelle dated March 20th 1917.


7 Astley St, St Pauls Rd, Preston.

Dear Ted,

Just a few lines in answer to your letter. I hope you won’t be long before you get home. I don’t let Eva forget you. If she is crying and I say where’s daddy she stops crying as if by magic and gives your photo such a sweet smile it’s a pity it was’nt yourself instead of the photo.

Best love from Eva & Isa

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Card 23

J.Beagles & co., E C., Printers & Publishers. Guaranteed Real Photograph.

A card from Isabelle to Edward dated 23rd March 1917.

7 Astley St, St Pauls Rd, Preston.

Dear Ted,

Just a few in answer to your letter. I hope you will come through your operation alright, let me know as soon you can. I like your photo, but you seem awfully fat. Have they been feeding you up. You looked badly in the little photo’s.

Best love from your loving wife Isa.xxxxxxxx
Eva xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Card 24

Printed in England. The Regent Publishing Co. Ltd., London. N. W.

From Edwards sister Alice dated 6th April 1917.

87 Victoria St, Preston, Lancs.

Dear Brother,
Just a line in answer to your card which I like very well. I have put it in my album along with some yours from France now I am quite well and so is Jim hoping to hear some good news very soon from you. Now I am sending you 2 packets of fags and in side one of them there is 6 pence. Hoping you enjoy your Easter. Well no more this time.
From your loving sister Alice 494.

Text in bold not clearly legible.

Card 25

The Regent Series, No. 2019. Printed in England. The Regent Publishing Co., Ltd., London, N.W. (All British).

From Isabelle to Edward dated April 7th 1917.

7 Astley St, St Pauls Rd, Preston.


Dear Ted,

I hope you have got over your operation alright. I am longing to hear how you are. If you are better, do you think it will be long before get home. There is no pleasure without you. Hoping to see you soon.

I remain your loving Wife.
Isa and Eva,
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Although the story has finished (for the moment) there are a few more cards to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home