Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Family postcards 1913 - 1917, page 7

Well that’s it really. It is rather a sad testament that a mans life, especially one who gave his all, can be reduced to half a dozen or so pages on a blog. At least now what little is known about Edward Culling is available to the world. I would have liked to see both Isabelle and Edward’s reactions if some person tried to explain the World Wide Web to them. A friend of mine said how difficult it must have been, all Isabelle wanted was a proper letter, all Edward wanted was fags, no other contact was available unlike today with mobile phones, e-mails and alike.

Although I have to say the contents of these pages are rather telling, if not amazing but very private insight into the lives of two people during both the good and the bad times. It is also remarkable how much the English language and the way it is used has changed in just under a hundred years.

So now here are the final postcards, both with and without text. Double click on an image for a larger view.
Card 26
Beagles & C0., Ltd., E. C., Printers & Publishers. Guaranteed Real Photograph.

From Isabelle to Edward dated April 10th 1917.

7 Astley St, St Pauls Rd, Preston.

Dear Ted,

Just a few lines for our wedding Day hoping we may have more happiness in the future than in the past, and to let you know that I love you more with each passing day.

Your loving wife.
xxxxxxxxxxx

Card 27
No printing company name, the only identifiers on this card are W2299. Printed in Great Britain.

A card dated April 13th 1917. Although unsigned the content of the text and the address clearly indicates that the card is from Isabelle.

7 Astley St, St Pauls Rd, Preston.

Dear Ted:-

I have been worried about you. You have never been so long in writing to me, since first went away. I have been nearly out of my mind, and unable to bear it any longer I wrote to the major in charge sending a stamped addressed envelope. I had a letter back this morning. He says you showed a marked improvement yesterday when he wrote, and that you yourself said you felt much better.


I believe that there was a second part to this card as the text ends to abruptly and that Isabelle always tried to sign her mail.

Card 28

No printers company name, simple text- Post Card, with a serial number 2863/2.


From Isabelle to Edward dated April 14th 1917.

7 Astley St, St Pauls Rd, Preston.

Dear Ted,

I was so glad to your card this morning and such a pretty one it is. Forgive me writing to the major but I was so anxious. You write so often when you are able that I felt sure you were bad. I could tell by his letter that you had been very bad. I hope you will get on now.

Keep this card because it is one you gave me before we were married and I have no paper but the words on the card are quite suitable because you are the dearest in all the world to baby and I.

From your loving wife Isa, Eva.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Card 29
(card torn) & K. London, E.C. Series No 3511 British Manufacture.

A card written by Isabelle to Edward but written as if from Eva. No date but Eva was 1 year old on January 30th 1917 and Edward died on July 7th 1917.

To my daddy.

From Eva.
Xxxxxx
Xxxxxx
xxxxxx

This final card with text on is the most thought provoking and moving. I am presuming that this card was sent just befor Edwards final operation. If so Edward by this time had been in hospital for nearly a year. He had undergone countless operations the majority of which, according to family legend were on his head. He must have been very weak and in great pain, Isabelle must have been extremely worried and in an attempt to rally his will she penned this as if from the daughter he probably never saw. I say this because the journey from Preston to Glasgow was a long and tiresome one and for a child so young would have been too much, there is also the fact that the journey may have been to expensive for even Isabelle to visit Edward for there is no records of her ever doing so.

These last cards do not have text on them.

Card 30
Published by E. A. Schwerdtleger & Co., London E.C and New York; Printed at their works in Berlin [Germany].
Card 31
]
Bamforth & Co., LTD., Publishers Holmfirth (England) and New York, “SONGS” Series. No. 4899/3. Printed in England.
Card 32
No printers company name simply ‘Post Card’ with a serial number 2863/6.
Card 33
(card torn) D., Ltd. Publishers Holmfirth (England) and New York. Series No 5032/1 Printed in England.


To end as I started. A very scrappy card but instead of possibly being carried by either Isabella or Eva I would like to think this card was carried by Edward to France and kept with him during his long time in hospital. Most of the cards here were returned to Isabella amongst Edwards personal effects after his death.
This is not the end of this blog. As I have already stated, if anyone out there reading this can find more about Edward Culling then please do, let me know how you do. I will continue to research him but it does not look hopeful, a friend in a position to do so requested Edward's records a few weeks ago, not through the channels you or I would use and was told they were destroyed during the blitz. I will not give up.
I also plan to research some of his closest relatives who's names will be on my next page along with all the links to web sites I have used. There will be some later cards, these are not as 'in depth' and do not have much text on the reverse sides but they are still interesting. These cards belonged to Eva and date from around the Second World War.
Finally, my mother has just got a computer and is learning how to use it, not bad for nearly 70. Bobbie (my mum) intends to research other family 'avenues', who knows, in a few months time you may be reading her blog.
On the next page will be a photograph showing Isabella, Eva, Bobbie, my brother Kerry, one of my sisters Karen and my good self looking rather dashing in my large shorts and nappie with a pair of cool sandals. This will put some faces to names, also open myself up to some micky taking from my mates.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello,
found your blog incidentally, just wanted to notice how interesting I found the displayed old postcards. Some, especially those with a small text, I would have enjoyed more in a higher resolution... (I am sooo selfish...), still, thank you for sharing your 'treasures'. Regards. SG

12:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a wonderful account of two people who cared so much for each other. You have captured moments in time for us all to see.

Thank you.

Jane Culling

8:36 pm  
Blogger kev said...

Hello Jane.
I am really pleased you liked the Blog about these two remarkable people.
On our family tree which my mother has I am sure that there is a Jane Culling on it. Are you her? If so it would be wonderful especially if you have any notes on family history, we could incorporate and or expand on them. If you are, or believe you are related please contact me, My email address is in my profile. Please respond regardless.

Kev

7:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home